Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Pad it up!

Here I go again with the random unconventional products found around my house....I've had a giant spool of this random cotton rope for years!   I have no idea where it came from but I'm sure it's readily available.  I highly recommend it for needlepoint use.

I love padding borders and edges, etc.   A technique that I use an awful lot is to satin stitch over this cotton rope.  I know that a lot of folks don't like that much padding but I LOVE it!  My best guess is that the rope I have is probably slightly larger than 1/8-inch.  It seems to be just right to create a raised stitch at least 3 threads wide although you can certainly expand it over 4 or 5 threads easily as you'll see in the DG ornament below.

Here are a few places that I've used that technique:

The purple border is rope covered with Neon Rays.
 
 
This giant curved border also same rope covered with two colors of Flair.

This is my most recent project:

Crazy awesome neon Sparkle Rays over the same cotton rope.
 
 
It's just so easy to control and conform to any shape.  I like that it's cotton and therefore has a little bit of grip....it's not slippery at all even when using Neon Rays.  That is super helpful.  I love that I can contort it instead of having to stitch long padding stitches anchored through the canvas which makes curves so much easier and smoother-looking.  I don't plunge it through the canvas or even tack it down...just start covering it.  It stays in place and is easier to manipulate if you don't attach it.  Just trim the ends closely and add a couple stitches to cover and you're done!   It's wonderful and one of my favorite things to add to a canvas to give a little dimension and add visual interest. 
 
XOXO,
Suzanne
 

 


9 comments:

normajean53 said...

Great idea! I have a project it is perfect for. Thank you.

Suzanne said...

Wonderful! Hope it works out just great!
Happy stitching.
Suzanne

BFromM said...

I love this idea! I like to pad things, but I've never done that much padding. I will have to find some place to try it out!

Suzanne said...

Definitely try it this way...it's so much easier than the traditional way with long stitches underneath. Happy Stitching!

Catherine Stroup said...

Great idea!! Thanks for sharing! Not so different from the repousse that is the stitch dejour. I have padded with multiple threads, but this creates a big effect and looks much easier than working with "spaghetti".

Mari M said...

Genius! I love it for thicker curved areas. Thanks for sharing.

Laura Colson said...

Love this Suzanne! Where will you shop for this again once your old supply runs out? Just trying to discern where to go to get it - craft store, hardware dept, etc?

Suzanne said...

Thanks for the comments! I have no idea where to get it when I run out so I'm on the lookout already! I will have to post about it when I find some. :)

NCPat said...

WOnderful idea! I have this sitting around too!