Monday, April 20, 2015

I love HOUNDSTOOTH

Really, I do.  And houndstooth loves needlepoint lately.  It's showing up everywhere. 


Recently, I've done two things...1) gone through my stash and pulled out a few pieces that I bought cheap years ago and no longer care about or even like; and 2) drawn a few basic clip art shapes onto some scrap canvas.   And then the "Aha!" moment....stitch over those smalls that you don't like with houndstooth!  And fill a few of those outlined shapes with houndstooth!  
 
So, I diagrammed it and started stitching over a little mitten shape that I wasn't going to stitch the way it was.  I am pretty sure I bought it cheap and had the intention of beading it, but I got over it since then.  A mitten is the perfect thing for some houndstooth action, right? 
 
I know it probably seems a little like heresy to stitch over a painted canvas, but it's not bothering me at the moment.  Here is the little mitten that I started.  I used some dark gray Burmilana from my stash but because I used 4-ply in order to make sure it was thick and covered up the painted orange underneath, I needed a little more than the single skein I had.  So, I can't finish until next week when I can hopefully get another skein that matches. 

 
I used some gray for the basketweave background, but I don't think I like it and because 4-ply on that seemed a little much, I used 3 ply......and I can see slight tinges of orange showing through.  Not to mention that my enthusiasm got the best of me and I totally forgot that I hadn't compensated the houndstooth on the left side....LOL  So, as painful as it may be, I think I will frog that part and do it over in white wool after all.  I think I will use the same white wool in Turkey Work for the cuff since you know I love that technique/look so much. 
 
I have a star pattern in these bright colors that I had to have bought for a nickel because it's not very appealing to me and I think I will add my initial and do the houndstooth around it.  Stay tuned for that one.  Meanwhile, I thought I'd share the pattern I used in case you have some random canvas on which you'd like to add some houndstooth.
 
 
I found it's easiest to stitch in columns starting at the top of the pattern.  If you do that and you stitch one full "houndstooth" at a time using the continental method, then the stitch pattern is:

               1 - 2 - 7 - 7 - 7 - 2/5 - 2/5 - 2 - 2 - 2 - 1              

or......the way I actually stitched it.....
               1 - 2 - 7 - 7 - 7 - 2 - 2 - 5 - 5 - 2 - 2 - 2 - 1  

Does that make sense to anyone but me?   Like this:



I guess I am giving you a peak into the way I think when I stitch repeated patterns.  If I get it in my head, then I don't have to constantly look back at the diagram and count.  Your brain learns the shift of it fairly quickly if you can just remember the numbers...meaning that you scoot over one thread to the left for the next row down, or shift over two threads to the right, skip a thread, etc. 
 
Once you get the houndstooth pattern in place, then you just basketweave around to fill in the background of it.  There are many different color schemes that would be just beautiful.  I do believe I will make some more.  Cross your fingers that I can match my stash thread to finish this little cutey.

Makes me happy.

XOXO,
Suzanne

No comments: