Monday, March 30, 2015

Gotta love Glad wrap.....and Bra Tape!

Funny the random things we have in our needlepoint arsenals.....I love Glad Press 'N Seal wrap...it's great for transferring traced patterns for appliques, etc. and it's awesome for covering you canvas when you don't want fuzz or other junk on the rest of your piece.   (Amy Bunger's awesome technique)
 
Last night I used it to cover the canvas that I had already stitched while I trimmed some turkey work.  If you've done this before without covering the canvas, then you know it can and probably will become a hot mess...ask me how I know.  I had used Impressions for a background and velvet for a sleeve along with some fuzzy stuff and beads....so who wants turkey work leftovers hanging on to those forever???  This technique works great!  Sticks to the canvas just enough to hold and comes off without pulling any threads, etc. 

The picture on the left shows the canvas covered with Glad wrap - all but the turkey work that is ready to be trimmed.  The picture on the right shows it after trimming - no fuzzy byproduct mucking up my project!

This was a turkey work experiment for me....I used 2 ply Watercolors and used the Jump Through the Loop technique which was new to me.  I have to say I like it...about the same as my other method....they are both good.  Not sure I would use this thread again but it's the only thing that has a really bright white and I wanted this quirky canvas to be a little different.  I may have to use the Bunka Brush (nap-raising tool) on it to fuzz it just slightly more. 
 
The other random unconventional product that I love is this:
 
 
The little strips are just the right size and are super sticky on both sides. I just tape one to the edge of my canvas to hold beads while I am beading.  Works perfectly because it's flat and makes it easier to grab the beads with a needle than the little magnetic plastic containers.  Plus, you just roll it off and throw it away when done.  The expensive sticky containers lose their stickiness after a while and then what do you do?  Another big plus is that this cute little tin is only about $8 and contains 36 individual strips.   Try it and you'll become a believer like me!
 
I've stitched several "smalls" this weekend so I will post those very soon!  Stay tuned...
 
XOXO,
Suzanne
 
 
 
 

5 comments:

Diane Gasior said...

You are so smart and talented. I love learning new things from you. Where do you buy the strips!

Suzanne said...

It's available on Amazon and at some fashion retailers. Have fun!

Catherine Stroup said...

Wow! It looks like my comment never posted. I am just about to do turkey work for the first time and you have just saved me from the dreaded fuzzier!!!

Also, I wondered if you were going to post the rest of the canvas. It looks likes something from Dr. Suess! And my curiosity is peaked!

Suzanne said...

Catherine, it is a custom piece that I commissioned from a painter. It's very Grinch-like. Since it's not a canvas that is available to the public, I will probably not post about it.

Hope your turkey work turns out great! Let me know if you need any help. I just tried Jump through the Loop technique and really liked it. I have some instructions and diagrams if you need them.

XOXO,
Suzanne

Catherine Stroup said...

Commissioned from a painter. That's cool. Thanks for your offer of help on the turkey work. I have some good descriptions from a couple of sources, and am pretty good at following directions. It reminds me a little of the hooked rug i did as a kid.....although those were individual pieces of yarn.....but same attachment. If I start to struggle....I'll be back!