I finished the Melissa Shirley Santa in pink that I started at the recent Needlepoint This! class in Dallas. If you know me then you know that I made some changes to the suggested stitches/threads when I got home and had my own stash and ideas...but I stuck to the teacher's guide for the most part. I am pleased with the way it turned out.
Here he is in all of his pink glory...
Here are few close-ups so you can see some of the wonderful individual elements.
I changed the fur to double brick over 4 using Santa's Beard and Fur thread from my stash. I really enjoyed stitching it and like the effect. I changed up the border a little bit also since I had some cool iridescent white Fyreworks to use with my sparkly pink ribbon floss. I used a #8 Kreinik braid for the snow so that the beautiful shading would show through (instead of the heavy Snow thread) I also couched a heavy gold braid between the snow and the border base and it really added some dimension. Love that! I changed up the lining of the coat to include beads in between the Double Stitch that used Silk Lame Braid with one silk ply removed although I'm not sure why the Petite Silk Lame wasn't used. Interesting. At any rate, I used white beading thread and tiny size #15 pink beads and I like it. The smaller pink beads are from & More company as opposed to the size #14 from Sundance and other beaderies. I like those smaller beads a lot.
The beard was done in Twisted Lazy Daisy stitch using Vineyard Silk. In class, we stitched the gray outlines of the beard as they were painted using Burmilana thread. If I had it to do over again, I might have skipped that since the way my twisted daisies turned out - the gray just looks like I failed to stitch it correctly. I guess I might have tried to make the lazy daisies "fit" those sections a little more. I guess I will just say it gives the beard some contrast and shadow...hopefully it looks okay.
I stitched the mittens in the Kalem stitch so it would appear knitted. Love it. And I added a pink gemstone for a button at the nape of the coat!
I stitched over the painted snowflakes while stitching this lovely Rounded Bargello background in Elegance thread which I absolutely loved! Then I added the iridescent tiny sequins with a clear bead and white beading thread. They look a different color depending on how the light catches. Love it!
I made my poinsettias pink instead of white. I don't have much experience using River Silks ribbon for embroidered petals like this but I think it turned out okay. The beads are pale yellow and stitched with green floss for the centers.
This tassel is awesome! It's one ply of Burmilana and all of the individual plies of one strand of the Silk Lame Braid.
This bunny's front ear was my first time to try on-canvas detached weaving/stumpwork. I thought it was very difficult with such loose, delicate thread like Burmilana but I managed. It's surely not the best but it's there - and it's pretty darn cute. I am tempted to take out the tiny pink bow and redo it because the shade doesn't remotely resemble any of the other pink tones in the piece. However, I hate for everything to be too matchy-matchy, so I might just leave it for some extra character. Yep, that's what I'll do.
All in all, I really love this piece and absolutely can't believe I stitched it so fast. I just took this class in the first weekend of November....now, that's just crazy talk.
One lovely student in our class was working this a two-sided stand-up and it will be amazing! I almost wish I had done that but since it was so much of the same coat on the backside, I might have been bored with it so it's okay. I'm giving this away soon - almost can't believe I'm doing that, but it will make my Mom so happy that it's totally worth it.
It's almost time to start getting into the Christmas spirit....