Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Check out this masterpiece....

Simply couldn't wait to post this...might be my new favorite piece.  Sometimes you just outdo your own self!




This is a Scott Church design (CBK Needlepoint) and I'm finding that I am cuckoo over his stuff!

This was crazy fun to stitch.  Has so many of my favorite things....beading, turkey work, Aqua, whimsy....LOVE IT.  As with any piece with such dimension, it's hard to convey it in a flat photograph taken by your iPhone, but it's really cool in person. 

And yep...I knitted that tiny little scarf with tiny little needles and Splendor thread.   And then for the snowballs, I piled on all of those tiny little beads one at a time.  
But it worked...yes?


 
In this close-up, you can see how it was painted and you can see much of the detail including my choice of snowball technique. I started with the larger drop beads (snowball in his hand) and decided that I didn't like it and switched to the size 11 beads you see in the lower snowball pile.  I used two colors obviously to simulate the shading and to "separate" the snowballs. 
 
I used Crystal Braid for the snow because I needed something thick enough to balance with the "heavy" background.  Also why I picked diagonal scotch instead of just using basketweave...needed the snow to come forward instead of receding backwards...make sense?  I was so happy that the shading still showed through.   You can see the footprints in the snow if you look very closely in the path behind him.  I did basketweave on those areas but might need to come back with a tiny bit of blue-tones Crystal Braid to bring it out a little more.  Hard to see in the picture but it's a little more evident in person.  I also added a few "rows/columns" of basketweave in the mix of the diagonal scotch just to give it some "movement" if you will.  
 
If you follow this blog, you know I love interesting backgrounds with composite stiches and multiple thread selections when you have a large space in which to do something awesome...and this was clearly no exception. I used Water and Ice in aqua and clear/iridescent to create the background.  Love that stuff but it's almost as frustrating to stitch with as Prisms
 
All in all, I am crazy about this piece.   What's funny is that I started with the crazy turkey work tail....shouldn't have done that because I ended up having to tape it up out of the way so that I could stitch all around it.  Still not sure how I accomplished that exactly, but it's done.  I wouldn't recommend that.  I would, however, recommend stitching the squirrel first so that you can bunka brush the snot out of him...I didn't do that so I had to be ultra careful about brushing and ultimately couldn't get him as fuzzy as I wanted.  Live and learn....
 
Hope you are learning something every day in your stitching - that fun is what it's all about. 
 
XOXO,
Suzanne

10 comments:

The Chilly Hollow Needlepoint Adventure said...

PERFECTION! Congratulations, Suzanne. This is wonderful. Hurry up and get it finished so we can fight over who gets to borrow it.

Pediatric Musings by Dr. Margaret Payne said...

I love what you have done with this piece. The background is stunning. Do you mind sharing what stitch you used or where to find it? I have never seen it before but love it.

Diane Gasior said...

Outstanding. You never cease to amaze me.
Happy Thanksgiving

SharoninStitches said...

Love this!

Suzanne said...

Margaret, the basic swoosh was a stitch from my Humble Bag's Wonderful Stitches...then I just figured out how to make it repeat and filled in between. I'm still not much for open canvases so I filled it in with the clear water and ice but it really did look good with just the swoosh patterns and the rest open. I will look up the number if that will help. I need to get graphing software so that I can diagram!

Thanks everyone for the nice comments. I love needlepoint!

Suzanne said...

It is Stitch #232 in the Wonderful Stitches book - then adapted to be a background.

NCPat said...

It is so cute!

Ann Rotatori said...

Is there a certain beading technique you used for the snowballs? I'm new to beading and have used the "lasso" stitch around each individual bead.

Suzanne said...

Ann, I just basically piled the beads on top of each other one at a time until I got the desired effect. It's not messy beading where you put more than one bead on a string at the same time. I placed one bead at a time but kept cramming them on top of the "pile" much like what you do with French knots. it was fun. I only use the "lasso" when I need the beads to be really secure. I generally do not even lasso on my brick beading...or maybe lasso every 5th or 6th bead. Hope that helps. Email me if you need help. I LOVE beading. Happy stitching!

maude rose said...

love your work.... what color of beads did you use? also, what made you decide to use breads instead of french knots?