Thursday, October 16, 2014

Best. Santa. Ever.

I made more progress on my Raymond Crawford big beard Santa...

 
If you are a regular reader, then you know I love beading....so I beaded the stripes at the top.  I used the Brick Stitch method which is my personal fave.  The stripes were painted blue, green, and white.  For bead colors, I chose clear, aqua blue, and lime green.  Then I used a blue beading thread for all of them which changed the hue a little bit.  I love the way it turned out. 
 
I wanted more blue than green as well.   If you look at this closeup, maybe you can see the subtle difference in the blue colored stripes. 
 
 
It's an interesting lesson in how you can change-up the look of anything by changing either the bead color or the thread color and then using the underlying paint color to adjust the outcome.  The top blue stripe in the circled area was blue beads on top of a blue stripe.  The green stripe at the bottom of the circled area is green beads on top of a green strips (but with the blue beading thread which subdued it a bit intentionally).  The middle blue stripe that looks more aqua colored  is actually blue beads on top of a green stripe...I didn't want the predominant color to be green and it was painted as a really wide green stripe.   I like the way it turned out because it looks like I had more than one shade of blue bead/thread when really it was the same. 
 
Those of you that are paying attention will notice in the close up pic that you get a little sneak peak of what I ultimately did for the beard swirls.  Can you guess? 
 
Stay tuned for that one......I'll post the completed piece in a few days.   It's right up there as one of my all-time favorite finishes.  I will be sending to the framer in a few days.
 
XOXO,
Suzanne

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your turkey work is INCREDIBLE!!!
Can hardly wait to see the finished piece.

Karen said...

I purchased this canvas several years ago in a stocking top for my granddaughter and have never finished it because of the swirls. Will look forward to your finished piece for a better idea than mine! Thanks for sharing!

Diane Gasior said...

Okay, everything is perfectly beautiful. Do you know after all these years, I still do not do Turkey work because I find it so intimidating. Just beautiful.

Sheena said...

Love the Santa, !looks like you had a lot of fun with it๐ŸŽ„