Monday, April 22, 2013

Broken Vow...

Well, I made it until April before I broke my vow to make 2013 the year I finish all my starts before buying something new.  I guess I was having stitcher's-block.  I have not been stitching much lately so I decided that maybe if I bought a new piece that inspired me that it would get me fired up to start stitching again every day.   At least that is what I'm telling myself.  Actually I think it's working.  I bought the piece on Saturday and came home and started stitching...so that's justified, right?

Pocket Full of Stitches was having a trunk show - Colors of Praise.   I told myself all the way there that there was nothing I could not live without...I was only going in for threads for my Monster's Ball background piece.  That was supposed to be inspiration enough.  Well, we all see how that went down...down in flames!   LOL

I bought this neat cross design just because I could already envision how I wanted to stitch it.  And I could hopefully use stash threads.    (I apologize for the poor photo quality - I was really just snapping a phone pic to send to my daughter in Austin)  It's cute, eh?



 I haven't started on it yet except for pulling some threads.  I have Neon Rays in all those colors and I wanted a flat thread so that I could use Square Rhodes in some of the boxes.  I think I will basketweave all the incomplete squares so I don't have to try to compensate on Rhodes.   I am planning to pad the white center cross and surround it with petite black beads.   Fun, huh?

I also couldn't resist this little cutie.  I didn't take a pic of it before I started but you can see where I was trying some ideas and then frogged it all out...I started with a red and pink Trebizond but I decided it was too much contrast and didn't really look good in basketweave.  So it all came out.  


Then I tried Kreinik at the very top in two fun shades but didn't have enough contrast and looked too sparkly for this little architectural gem.


Finally, I picked these from my stash.  Yes, my stash is ridiculous...isn't yours?


I love these coral/pink threads and I have a bunch of them.   I am using the Neon Rays for the lighter pink and the FyreWorks for the darker pink.  Here is what it will look like (on the right-hand side):


I have no idea what to do on the white architectural part yet.  I love this little beauty because I'm a person that loves to re-use and recycle old stuff, especially iron elements from fencing, etc.  Kinda looks like a crown too but I see it as part of an old iron medallion of some sort.  I don't want to lose the awesome shading and want it to project out more from the canvas than the basketweave background.   Hmmm....

XOXO,
Suzanne

2 comments:

The Chilly Hollow Needlepoint Adventure said...

Beads. Definitely.

just saying....

NCPat said...

I agree with Jane! Beads!