Thursday, February 28, 2013

"Dr. No", the Mad Scientist

He was probably one of the most fun to stitch.  I still have one piece of this canvas left to do but I wanted to go ahead and show him to ya.



On the bottom of his labcoat where you can see the black paint showing through was a painted spider trailing some web tendrils.   I decided to use a fun three dimensional spider button or something and then use a filament fiber on top for the web tendrils.  Unfortunately, my LNS didn't have a good spider so I'm still on the hunt for a really cute one to secure on top of his coat in this spot.   I guess I need to call around to some other shops and find one...or a few since it seems that halloween canvases could nearly always use a cute spider!  

I beaded the beakers and used tortured flair for the smoke...LOVE IT!  Tortured flair: start pulling one thread at the end of a length of flair..it basically unravels the strand and makes one hot mess...it will look like a lump of dryer lint but then you just sort of wad it up and couch it down. Works really great for smoke or clouds or snow. :)
XOXO,
Suzanne

4 comments:

The Chilly Hollow Needlepoint Adventure said...

Make one. Check out the spider between Belleza's eyes on Blog today.
http://chillyhollownp.blogspot.com

If you like it I'll send you the diagram. Just email me at sgfromchnp@gmail.com to tell me where to email the chart. I used a 6mm bicone crystal and a 11/0 bead in the same color but you can use anything.

The Chilly Hollow Needlepoint Adventure said...

P.S. I think he's my favorite, too!

Goldylox99 said...

What is tortured Flair?

Love him to pieces!

Suzanne said...

Jane, I'm definitely going to check that out. I'm up for a challenge.