Saturday, November 24, 2012

What's on your wallet?

I have been using this Lee wallet for several years now.  Originally, I drew my name in bubble letters and stitched each letter differently in bright colors.  It was so cute.   It finally got dirty and dingy so I stitched a replacement (above).  I love paisley!  This one has held up so well.  This is one of my favorite things and I get so many compliments.

I had never done anything that was self-finished.   So, I took this down to my LNS and had them help me the first time.  Scared the crap out of me to have someone cutting with giant scissors so close to my stitching!  Felt like the first time cutting turkey tufting.  (cringe)

I've seen some recent chatter about self-finished items so I'll tell you what I did to mine that seemed to work great.  The first canvas was trimmed within about 2 canvas threads ( I know, right!) and then pressed onto the self-adhesive layer.  Then, I used some additional glue under the lip of the leather all the way around to hold it down tight.  When it came to replace the canvas, I was a little scared again, so I went back to my LNS and one of the ladies just ripped that sucker right out of there!  But it worked and I was able to use the same white fabric glue to adhere my new canvas - again, I had to use the glue all around the edge for a good seal.  No problems so far!   I say don't hesitate to use glue.

I stitched this wallet mostly in Impressions for longer wear since it would be handled so much.  I've done one of the Lee address books as well and I have another almost complete.  They make super nice gifts that you don't have to send off to a finisher. 

XOXO,
Suzanne

2 comments:

Needlework: The constant thread said...

Great tip for self-finishing. I would love to learn more about finishing some things myself. Love your blog!!!

Needlework: The constant thread said...

Great tip for self-finishing. I would love to learn more about finishing some things myself. Love your blog!!!