Friday, November 16, 2012

Velvet Stitch

Santa's beard in the previous post is done in the Velvet stitch...here is a link on the technique:
http://www.needlework-tips-and-techniques.com/how-to-needlepoint.html

You can find this stitch in books like Stitches To Go and The Needlepoint Book.  

Here is a close-up of the beard done in Velvet. 

















I believe I used a combination of one strand of Wisper and one strand of Designer's Dream, both from Rainbow Gallery, but I can't be sure and I can't check it because I gave it away.  It's much like turkey work except it holds better and you have to make sure that all the stitches are fairly uniform to get a result like this beard.   I tend to pack it in when I'm doing this type of stitch...so this one is really full.  It's time-consuming but worth the effort if you ask me.  I just wish I had kept this Santa for myself.  (just kidding)  Try it and let me know if you like it!

XOXO,
Suzanne

2 comments:

KayTee said...

Thanks for the info! I'm going to try it on my next a Santa beard.

Annette said...

Love all your needle work, way to go. xo