Sunday, October 28, 2012

Chef Santa and some gourmet goodness...

This beautifully painted little mini-stocking ornament is 24-count so I'm going to have to put my thinking cap on for threads and stitches.   When I stitch on this tiny mesh and then go back to stitch on something else...it makes 18-count seem HUGE!   How funny is that?


I really like this canvas a lot and I want to embellish and use creative stitches...it's so easy to just throw up your hands and tent these tiny little areas but I'm going to try my hardest not to fall into that trap.   Surely I can take my time and jazz this up a bit.  It's much too detailed and perfectly painted to be lazy, right?

I have some tiny sequins and beads I can use to embellish the background.   I can do a needleweaving leaf on the apple.   Possibly a holly button on the hat?  Shiny boots with laces on top.  I love ideas so leave a comment if you can think of something for me to ponder.   :)

I want to try some open stitch for the snow and the background...but not TOO open.  Historically, I haven't used much open stitchwork because I couldn't stand for the canvas to feel "un-stitched" - like everything needed to be "covered."  But I think it's because when I started out, so many of the open stitched pieces that I saw, or were suggested in a guide, were just too plain and simple...lending to that feeling of being lazy and not really stitching the canvas.  Since then, I've seen some beautiful open stitches that actually had a nice design that was obvious.  So, I am really trying to use it more; however, I don't have a good book full of open stitches/backgrounds so if anyone has a suggestion....

XOXO,
Suzanne

2 comments:

The Chilly Hollow Needlepoint Adventure said...

Any stitch can be an open stitch if you use only a tiny thread (one ply of cotton floss instead of #5 cotton perle, for example). Any multi-step stitch can be an open stitch if you don't do all the steps. (Think Scotch stitches without the middle slant.) Actually, open stitches can be found in all your stitch books if you just start thinking about putting them on a diet or trimming them back in some way....

Suzanne said...

Oh my goodness...what a wonderful lesson. I honestly have never been told that or thought about it like that. Can't wait to pour over my books and give it a try! Thanks!!!!!!!!!