Wednesday, October 17, 2012

A little fruity...

This weekend I worked on three fruit canvases - pears, strawberries, and lemons -  that I recently bought on eBay....so cute and perfect colors for my kitchen.  I am planning to frame the threesome together and hang it prominently in my kitchen.  

I really had a chance to try some new things on these canvases....so there's a whole lot of experimentation going on.   So far, I think I like it.   Generally I might make all three backgrounds the same but this time, I decided against being so matchy-matchy...I'm also trying to be more like that in real life.  (wink)

Unfortunately, I didn't take pictures of the canvases before I started stitching but I can show my current progress.  I started with the pears...


I'm not usually a fan of open work but knew I wanted to use it at least on the fruit in order to showcase the shading so I don't stitch it all and mess it up.   Also decided to possibly try some medium coverage stitches on the background. 

Then I started to work on the strawberries.  I'm trying to use threads from my stash to save money and to use up what I have. I started with neon rays and then moved on to trebizond since I had the right colors in those threads and I love to stitch with both.   I was experimenting and not really sure what the end result would be but I really like it!  

The first layer was a grid of neon rays changing color per shading...
Then I continued with a mirrored pattern over the interesections of the neon rays...
Then I put in #11 black and gold beads for the seads...



...
I am not exactly sure what I am doing with the flower and bud yet.... Here, I did buttonhole over a small plastic ring with splendor in lime green and then filled the center with yellow fuzzy stuff - I'm thinking I will make petal out of white wired-edge ribbon...we'll see how that one goes. I padded the bud with velvet and then added long stitches with the green splendor...not I don't know what to do. I might go to my LNS for some advice on the leaves...I am just not very good with leaves - they are very difficult for me.

Lemons are still in the frame - I'm working them with a shiny rayon ribbon...fingers crossed.  :)

Stay tuned....

XOXO, Suzanne

No comments: