In deciding what to stitch this year, I made a vow that I would not start a new project until I finished one and removed it from the stretcher bars. So I decided to pick up the Vicki Sawyer sheep canvas and try to knock it out.
Since I first posted about this, I've stitched the background. I wasn't in love with the orange background so I decided to change it to a color that was more my style. The stitch I used was Reverse Check (Thanks, Julia Snyder) and I love the way it turned out. You can still see some of the orange shading pattern ever so slightly. It looks great in person.
Mostly I was wanting to try out needle felting which I have never done. I just bought the supplies on Saturday and was anxious to see if it would work on this big area. I bought three different shades of roving and just jumped right in. It's definitely not perfect but I like the way it's turning out so far. I need to finish the face and then I can go back to the wool and work on the edges and the fine-tuning now that I have a clue what I'm doing. Because you can see the puncture marks where I went in/out with the needle, I need to figure out how to smooth that a bit at the end. I can stitch the grasses and flowers over the top of the wool when completely done.
Here's what it looks like so far...
And the little bird on his ear was a fairly new technique for me...stranding down Silken Straw. I have used this technique before as well and it is beautiful for birds. It is very easy to shade and blend the colors. I have one portion to complete and then I will work on the bullion legs and the eye and beak. Here is a close-up:
I might try the technique where you plump/stuff from the back to make the area stick up...no idea what that is called. I will probably have to add a few more stitches at the base of the belly after I get the wool felted in place so that it looks like the bird is on top. You can see the fun background in this picture as well.
Clearly I'm still working on that sweet sheep face...have tried about 4 stitches and keep ripping and starting over. I want something that is open enough to show the shading but then I get stuck on the nostrils area....BAH! I used Basketweave on the ears and just changed colors. But not sure I want to do that for the face or not. And stitching on black is not my favorite! I'm using dark brown velvet so that helps a little but not much.
Stay tuned for more on this fun piece!